Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Happy Spring!

It's the first day of spring!  It's time to stop and smell the roses.  Or hyacinths, whatever.
I always feel like this should be a national holiday.  After living in Los Angeles for a year, I really appreciate living in a place with real seasons. It feels like spring is special and it feels like I've earned it.  The flowering trees are all looking lovely and the bulbs are just finishing their bombast.
This is from the Enid A. Haupt Garden in front of the Smithsonian Castle.  It's looking just beautiful right now, and if you can visit, you very much should.
You should also visit the U.S. Botanic Garden.  Their Orchid Mystique: Nature's Triumph is ridiculous! So many flowering ethereal plants in one space.  It just doesn't feel real.
 
I'm continually amazed at the people who can get these plants to grow and flower.  It seems like magic to me.
Happy Spring!  Are you going to do anything in particular to celebrate?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I am failing at blogs today. Just wanted to thank you for teaching me what hyacinths are! There are some growing around my apartment complex and I love them, but didn't know their name!

      Delete
    2. They are so good smelling, right?

      Delete