Friday, April 22, 2011

So... That Was Cool, or The Time the President of the United States Came to Dinner

Yesterday evening my friend Barack Obama came to eat dinner.  Well, okay, he didn't come to my house.  And alright, if you push me, I'll admit that he didn't even eat with me.  But I'm sure that was just because he was being considerate.  You know, he understands that I'm busy and didn't want to bother me.  He's thoughtful that way.  But really, the POTUS did eat down the street from my apartment at a fancy restaurant in Brentwood.  There was a lot of police presence and tons of yellow tape everywhere.
I got the impression that Angelenos were scarred by the last time the President came to visit L.A. because most people in my office freaked out when they learned that he would be in town.  The traffic in L.A. is near disastrous on a regular basis; when they shut down major arteries for presidential security, it becomes a nightmare. 
Luckily I was able to escape work about an hour early and squeeze in right before the police closed off my street.  From what I've read on random LA Traffic websites, I also managed to slip out about 30 minutes ahead of a shut down to the area where I work.  So... that was good.   
I did go out and try to see the motorcade, but no one was being too specific on his route (for good reason), and I happened to pick the wrong corner.  But that's okay, there are youtube videos if you or I really want to see it.

Mostly, it was great to stand around with the crowds of my neighbors and chat about the excitement, the traffic, the weather, and everything else.  I live in a pretty great city, and in a pretty swell neighborhood- full of diversity- but it's easy to lose sight of that. 

So thanks for coming to dinner, Mr. President. 

No comments:

Post a Comment