Saturday, September 25, 2010

Teacher's Girlfriend


M is 5 weeks into his third year as a teacher; something that I am extremely proud of, and often find very frustrating to live with.

Don't get me wrong, it's wonderful that he's doing something so important, and I'm very impressed with the amount of resilience with which he approaches a very difficult student body and a very difficult teaching environment. He really puts his all into this job; and I couldn't be happier to see him really feel like he's doing something important. It's a feeling we need to feel good about ourselves, and I'm very happy for him.

I also enjoy the ways I get to participate. First, M often asks for advice with lessons or with his Teachers' Union duties, and I like the Abigail Adams feeling it gives me to know that my advice is helpful and valued by M when he is doing something I also view as important.

Secondly, I get to help M decorate his classroom, which has always been a not-so-secret fantasy of mine. This year he went with a tropical theme in honor of Joe the Rasta Banana- won by his friend from math camp at Six Flags:
which resulted in the highest-test-score-awards:
and a super-sweet paper palm tree:
and I just really like my "post ironic shapes":


But, as cool as decorating is, it's just a little bit frustrating, when I come home after a- let's face it- fairly boring day at work, to find that he will be grading tests or lesson planning all night. It's not that I don't have lots of projects I could see myself doing, it's just that I usually find myself in a limbo- lacking the energy to go buy supplies and get to work, but with too much energy to just happily read a book after sitting still in one place all day.

I'm not sure how to combat this difference yet. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment